Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Valuing Employees

We all know in theory how important it is to take care of your employees. We study leadership, we work to improve managerial skills, we learn to communicate in their style and reasons why we should show them appreciation. The book shelves are filled with books on employees, but (and answer honestly) how many actually practice what we use?

I've heard statistics that something like 95% of the people who attend a seminar never practice what they've just learned and I thought what a waste and then wondered if I was part of that 95%.

Well, feeling convicted about this today, I decided that our balmy weather is the perfect opportunity to appreciate our staff who has been working incredibly hard. So, we're having what I call an "anti-snow day". It's not my word, but I like it so I'm using it. In the event that the weather becomes too nice and the majority of the work is getting done, the office should be closed. When I heard they are giving free ice cream out just up the hill it seemed like a natural fit. Go get some ice cream and then take off to enjoy our first beautiful spring like day.
What have you done recently to show your employees you value them?

Labels: