Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Politics And Politicians


Last night I watched Man of the Year with Robin Williams. I find him continually funny, the trailer made me laugh out loud, and I think politics can never be made fun of enough, so I was anxious to watch.

The movie was typical Robin Williams with the first half being non stop laughter and the second half more serious with a message. I give it a high entertainment value, but don't watch it if you can't laugh at what you politically believe in.

The movie made me stop and think about running for politics again. I've thought about it, and have had near random strangers tell me I should, but I just can't quite bring myself to agreeing that it's a good idea.

Then today, I went to our local Chamber of Commerce's city council debate. It was another confirmation that watching politics, and especially making fun of it is a great idea, but being a politician... not so great. So, I left the debate full from a great breakfast of eggs, sausage and fruit and reflected that while local politics are the most important and often easiest arena to get involved in, I'll stay involved with voting, but not active participation for now.

One thing I can't quite figure out is what my campaign slogan would be. One guy during the debate kept saying my name is... and I'm running for city council because I want change for the better. (YAWN) I'd need something catchy like, "My name is Matt Barrett. Vote for me and I'll give 20% of all my kick-backs to charity!" Think I need some help on that. Any ideas?

If the mood ever does strikes me, I did discover that I don't have what it takes to be a crooked politician... according to this anyway.

Labels: