Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Why I Do What I Do - Great Treats and Helping People

There are lots of perks to my job. I get to travel occasionally, but not all of the time. I get to meet lots of great people like the mayor and bank presidents. And, while the pay isn't outrageous, the benefits are. But, the true reason why I like my job is that I get to be involved with helping people accomplish their dreams.

Yesterday, I drove my staff over to Nocon's Gelatoria and met my wife and kids to be one of his first customers ever. Frank Nocon, a client of ours, fell in love with gelato while stationed in Italy in the Air Force. Yesterday, he and his wife began the next exciting phase of their life by opening their own store.

If you've never had gelato before, let me explain. According to the sign in the store, 'gelato' translated from Italian, means ice cream. But, in the United States in order to call a frozen dessert ice cream, there are certain characteristics and guidelines to follow. For example, the product should have a minumum of 10% butter fat. Most ice cream on the market have up to 18% butter fat. This cream flavor gelato contains from 4-8% fat and the fruit flavors contain less than 1% fat.

However, don't be mistaken that gelato is some kind of health nut, twigs and bark flavored stuff. The chocolate is rich and creamy. The white chocolate is equally good and my favorite, the coconut, makes me feel like I'm in the palapa bar in Mexico. But with over 30 flavors, you'll have to make up your own mind.

If you're in Colorado Springs, stop in and eat your fill. It's on Union, between Research and Briargate. Tell Frank "Hi" for me.

Labels: