Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Friday, January 05, 2007

What If You Don't Want To Understand Your Customer?

One of the things I love most about business is the psychographics of customers. What motivates them to buy something? Why do they choose one product over another when they are seemingly identical? Essentially, what goes on inside the mind of the person who holds the purse strings to the next sale? Understanding your customers is a crucial part of business.

I love this because of the strategy involved. I you understand the way they think, then you can set up "traps" to use their reactions to capture their spending habits. It is the process between understanding and springing the trap that I love.

But, what if there are some customers you just don't want to understand. What goes on inside some individuals minds is a little too scary for me sometimes.

Were you aware that there is a growing trend of making videos of yourself while you make funny faces and noises and then feel the need to post that on Youtube? Why? I don't get it. What makes people think this is a good idea? I'm not sure I really want to know the answer regardless of the amount of money they may spend.

Here are some examples.



More examples (click to watch)
Strange faces and noises I can make
More Strange faces and noises
Even More Strange faces and noises
This guy goes on for over 4 minutes
"Facethoven"

To all you marketeers I say, target that as a demographic.