Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sweet Emotion

"Music is the ultimate expression of universal feelings and that great
composers transform these emotions into art." ~ Cooke 1959

I recently read a research article that stated women perceived music as the second most romantic thing. This article goes on for ten pages about the connection between emotion and music. If you can't sleep tonight, go ahead and read it... I did.

Knowing that a heightened state of emotion creates strong memories, I got to thinking about particular songs and people I had associated them with. Every time a song comes on the radio I instantly think about a certain individual.

Here's a quick list of such songs an my association to others.
  1. Free Fallin by Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers - Scott Hodge - From a story he told me about when he had the song in his head during a stressful situation. Several years later in a similar situation I had the same song stuck in my head.
  2. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi - Steve Smith - I loved hearing him play it
  3. Sweet Child of Mine by Guns and Roses - Jamie O'bradovich - A guy I went to high school with. He sat in the band room and played it on his guitar. I felt cool listening to it.
  4. Radar Love by White Lion - Chris Anunson - My best friend from school. He introduced me to White Lion and the song. We used to listen to it and drive fast.
  5. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers - Greg Dunlap - My college room mate. No we didn't smoke it, just listened to it every day at lunch for 2 months straight. We never could figure out what the song was about until I finally asked someone.

Do you have songs you associate with people? Or am I weird?