Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Monday, April 17, 2006

Are We All Prudes?

A brief disclaimer: This post may contain material that you might find offensive. It contains adult topics and should not be read by younger children. When leaving comments to this post feel free to do so anonymously. Your opinion will not be discounted because of signing it anonymous.


Prude - n. - One who is excessively concerned with being or appearing to be proper, modest, or righteous.

Saturday I read this article in our local newspaper about Book 22, a company named after the 22nd book of the Bible (Songs of Solomon) selling sex toys marketed at Christian couples. They even have a blog, but I guess everyone does by now.

It brought about much discussion among my family on Saturday which carried over to Easter Sunday. Not exactly a resurrection topic, but none the less it was "stimulating" conversation. (sorry bad pun, but I couldn't help it)

From my point of view, the topic of sex and Christianity are like oil and water. The closest I've ever seen them mix in a serious and beneficial level is when they... well, I guess I can't think of one.

There are lots of books out there on the topic. Most I've read or listened to take the "just pray and invite God into your bedroom and things will get better" approach. Something about faith without works is dead is coming to mind right now. It's kind of like in school when we all prayed, "God help me pass this test, I really need an A", and then never studying for the test.

There are a limited few books or resources that are helpful, but not many. The problem is in my opinion that many Christian conservative couples struggle in their sex life, but have no where to turn because they are afraid to seek out secular sex counseling because it might turn out to be like one of those HBO Real Sex episodes (intentionally there is no link here). They are too embarrassed to talk to their pastor about the specifics of sex because it would just be too weird. During one counseling session I actually had a couple say "This is just too weird talking about this with you." To which I answered, "Well I could go get the senior pastor and you could talk to him." They quickly decided that for some reason sex talks with the assistant, though weird, was better than sex talks with the senior pastor.

My point is this: There is a definite problem and need among many conservative Christian couples when it comes to sex. Book 22 has found that niche and is serving it. Pure genius from a business standpoint.

This article points out how small businesses can take advantage of the niche market
  1. Their Economies of Scale are a Friend of Your Niche
  2. Your Small Size Enables You to Develop a Following
  3. Niche Category Sellers Can Effectively Target Their Limited Marketing Budget