Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Want more money? Try Being Funny.


I've said it, you've said it, my wife says it all the time. So by popular consensus, my sense of humor is a little strange. When I saw this sign hanging in the halls of the business college on campus I nearly laughed out loud. But then I thought about it and I'd probably vote for the guy just because his campaign slogan was so funny.

What is it about our psychological make up that would make people want to vote for a candidate or buy a product just because their ad campaign is funny?

Psychology has all kinds of quirky things to tell us. For example did you know the way you eat your Oreo cookies tells a lot about your personality? (test here)

This article from Entrepreneur.com reminds us why we use humor to sell.
  1. Humor helps customers remember you
  2. Laughter makes people feel good
  3. A sense of humor is an admirable quality

This quote from the American Society of Newspaper Editors, "We live in a vicious, violent and intimidating world, but there's still a place for fun. Well, there ought to be, and not just on the comics page, either."

That sums it up pretty well I think.