Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Much Needed Change

After almost 7 year of wearing the same glasses, I decided it was time to get some new frames.
When getting my frames I was asked a series of questions by the lady who worked the eyeglass store that I found peculiar.

First she wanted to know what I did for a living.
Second she wanted to know if I'd heard about the lens options (upgrades to tinting lenses and super clear lenses you can't even tell are in the frames).
Third she wanted to know if I had a recent prescription.

What I found peculiar about this was she was assuming that what I did for a living was going to effect my choice in frames. She didn't want to know if I was trying to break the mold of my profession's stereotyped look or wanted to conform to it.

Second I found it peculiar that she wanted to upsell me. That's fine and a great business practice, but if you don't yet have the trust of the individual, you can't ask them to buy more.

When she finally got around to asking me about my prescription, I wondered what took so long to ask a relevant question.

When interacting with a potential client about a change, 3 things you should discuss before upselling them are:

  1. What are they looking for
  2. What do they want this thing to accomplish for them
  3. What else should I know about your decision before presenting you with options