Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Monday, October 09, 2006

A Tribute to the US Air Force Academy

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one hell-uv-a roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

I recently started using Google Analytics. (I know I'm behind in the times here, but better late than never.) I'm virtually addicted now. I check it daily and monitor trends from every angle I can get.

One surprising trend is that somehow I've gained quite the following at the United States Air Force Academy. Now, granted I'm not racking up the hits in the thousands every day, but when 21.99% of my hits have come from our beloved academy since I started tracking stats, I have to stop and pay tribute to the men and women who click away at Grin and Barrett.

First, let me say to the students of the USAFA, you are all much brighter and more determined than I was when I was your age. In 8th grade I wanted to go the Academy. By 9th grade, I totally lost focus and was on to something else.
The faculty and staff of the USAFA have to be top notch to teach the best. Not that my Alma mater wasn't nice, but I don't remember any Brigadier Generals on staff either.

Obviously there are hundreds - check that - thousands of jobs at the academy. While I don't expect this individual is reading my blog (though perhaps he should be), I just met the individual who is responsible for food services for the students and even as a civilian employee there is still some essence of mystique surrounding anyone who works for such a premier, quality institution.

So, to the fine men and women of the Air Force Academy, thank you for your service to our great nation. Thank you for "Grinning and Bearing It" with me.