Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Left Overs with Success

In the words of fearless A-Team leader Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together."

I spent last night reassembling the sunroof to my 4 runner. Surprisingly it wasn't as challenging as I thought it was going to be. It's funny how success at something makes you more eager to try again. After finishing the job I told my brother-in-law, who helped me through the process, that I always thought messing with the interior of a car was a very hard job, but after doing this, I'd try just about anything.

In business, I think this is why it's so important to set up your employees for success. You can't patronize them with success, but you can certainly give them a challenging task and then support them as they succeed and encourage them as they struggle. Think of a workforce full of employees who weren't afraid to take risks because they were confident in their own ability to make the project succeed. It would have a definite effect on the bottom line and at the same time make them more independent with their confidence.

After sitting in the front seat, my wife said with amazement the sunroof worked and she couldn't even tell we'd done anything to the inside of the vehicle. I love words of affirmation.

By the way, those of you who took the Vegas odds, those bookies are amazing because as the picture shows I had exactly 4 parts left. I was accused of fixing the game, but in all honesty, it just came out that way. I have not idea where they came from and they don't' seem to go to anything of importance, but there you have it... 4 parts left over.