Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Vegas Odds on Auto Repairs

Stick to what you're good at. That's advice I give continually to entrepreneurs thinking about expanding or diversifying.

Physician heal thyself. That's advice I perhaps should have given myself.

Last Saturday I got together with my brother-in-law to repair the sunroof in our 4 Runner. It seemed simple enough. Though neither of us have much experience in such repairs, how hard can it be to install a new part and be on our way. An hour... two tops and we should be done.

Four hours later we had removed both sun visors, every dome light, all the handles / hanging hooks, the seat belts, the entire headliner (that material that covers the roof of your car) and the entire sunroof assembly. Running out of space in the garage, we began to bring parts into the living room. Use your imagination to ponder my wife's happiness level at this point. Yet, we still had not correctly diagnosed the problem.

Finally we figured it out, called the dealership, ordered the part and it comes in today. I'm feeling a little anxiety about putting the whole thing back together. Vegas is actually taking odds on how many extra pieces I'll have left when we're all done. Last time I checked it was a 4 piece spread. I'd take the points and bet heavy.