Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Can I get a witness?

We have visiting our church a guest minister by the name of Dr. Ed Dufresne (pronounced doo-fray-n) It's been a long, long time since I've been in a "healing rally" sort of atmosphere, but the Doctor brought his A-game and it's been a great time. God has really done some cool things and I've seen some pretty cool miracles happen like a guy with a steel plate in his shoulder get full motion back among others, but if you've been around a word of faith teaching for any time at all everyone has seen cool miracles. Not discounting God's power, or the coolness of it, but that's not what I'm writing about.
I am writing about people's nature to fit in. I think it's kind of funny to watch people as they get prayed for. If you're not familiar with what I've called a healing rally, it would be similar to Benny Hinn or some similar healing minister only on a much smaller scale. Of course as Dr. Dufresne begins praying for people, they begin to fall. Again, not discounting the power of God, but my impression is (without trying to be too judgemental about it) that most just lay back and take the ride to the floor to fit in and not becuase they are truly overwhelmed by the power of God as written about in the Bible.
I honestly almost fell over laughing (not from the Spirit) when I watched this elderly gentleman get prayed for. He was not a normal church attender and was probably pretty overwhelmed by what he saw going on. After the previous 8 or so people fall quickly to the ground (caught by my lightning quick ushers of course) it's his turn to get prayed for. As soon as Dufresne puts his hand on this guy's head, he sets his cane down, takes a knee and softly sits down then rolls to his back, and lays there right next to all the others.

Maybe you had to be there to see the humor, but it was almost cute the way he wanted to fit in with everyone else.