Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Conspiracy Theory


I'll admit that I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist. Call it years of watching the X-Files in college, call it my somewhat deviant personality with solid morals, but I always suspect there is something more significant at work than what is evident on the surface.

My latest conspiracy is American Idol. Honestly, last night was the first time this season I've watched it, but I've kept up on the whole Sanjea scenario. On the very surface, the American public believes that this kid is a good singer and physically good looking. Scratch the surface a little and you reveal that it is more likely that people are pulling the typical high school prank of, "let's vote for the nerd to win the homecoming king".

But, and here comes the real conspiracy theory, I think that Sanjea himself entered this competiion knowing full well that he couldn't win. He heard the others sing and knew he wasn't going to win, so he contacts his friends back home, one or two of whom are a genius computer hacker and they write a program that war dials the American Idol voting giving Sanjea a winning vote every week.

Whether or not we'll ever find out that is the truth, I don't know. Probably not, because then the fortunes generated by American Idol will be ruined and how will anyone ever trust the system again, but maybe John Stossel will run a report 4 years from now exposing the conspiracy.

Labels: