Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Bedazzling Power of Television Marketing

Television marketing has become one of the most powerful influences in society today. It tells us what to buy, what to wear and how out of style we'll be if we don't follow their instructions.

Perhaps Mick said it best with "When I'm watchin' my TV and a man comes on to tell me how white my shirts can be. Well he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarrettes as me."

Commercials sell products to everyone. People of all demographic categories in America. But have you noticed that infomercials market to the uneducated and the children?

Well no one is immune to the power of the television. Not even my two boys. Sunday, we're all driving in the car when my oldest said, "Mom, we know what we want to get you for Christmas."
"What's that" answers my wife.
"We can't tell you because if we get it for you, you'll know."
"Why don't you tell me to see if I like it?"

After a short pause to consider this, an excited young voice from the back seat exclaims, "Well, we really want to get you a Bedazzler!"

Holding back sharp feelings of laughter mixed with horror I get this look of, "You'd better darn well make sure I don't get a bedazzler for Christmas."

And of course, I will do my part to disrupt the powerful seed planted by the repeated infomercials in my children's minds. If only they ran infomercials that got kids to make their beds, pick up their rooms and eat all their dinner. How about infomercials that got employees to work harder for less money?