Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Giving Birth to a Drummer Boy



I recently read the forward to some book. I have absolutely no idea the name of it, but I remember the author describing the writing process as "giving birth". She said she was pregnant with the idea and it finally burst out of her. I know exactly what she is talking about. For 6 years I have been carrying around this idea and finally last Sunday I gave birth to it.

Every Christmas we listen to all of our favorite carols, but in all honesty, does anyone really like The Little Drummer Boy? I mean it's this great song about having nothing to give to God accept your talent as a drummer, so I'll play for baby Jesus using the talent God gave me. Then some drummer plays the absolutely lamest "rat-a-tat-tat" on the snare drum. I played that same "rat-a-tat-tat" when I was about 11 and it was easy then. My point - Come on if you have some talent then bring your best, don't play some weak, 5th grader, lousy, no talent snare drum.

So about a week ago, I got together with 4 friends from church and explained my baby that I've been carying for all these years. We rehearsed about an hour or so. The result was incredible. It truly was like giving birth... without all the pain and gross stuff.

We recorded it live during second service. Here's what it sounded like.

Little Drummer Boy Live (It's about 8MB so be patient)


Thanks to Danzo on Bass, Steve on Keys and vocals, Joe on lead guitar and Rick on rhythm guitar.



Uh, yeah I may have added some background ambiance noises for effect, but the song is us.