Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Best Feeling in a Long Time

This past Friday, my wife and I experienced together what was the best feeling either of us have had in a long time. I want to use this post to share that feeling and how we accomplished it so you and yours can someday recreate it for yourself.

Now get your mind out of the gutter, you sicko. This is a PG story at most.

One of our rental houses is empty. The tennants broke their lease and left. I can't say I blame them, they were given a trailor for $1. I would have broken the lease too. But, rules are rules and they are required to clean up things when they leave. They cleaned the inside of the house, but left all kinds of garbage in the back and front yard. 3 mattresses, broken glass, an assortment of clothes and broken toys and several trash bags of food, etc. etc. This has been sitting out in the sun for around a month by the time I get to it on Friday. You can probably imagine the smell. What you probably can't imagine is what a cardboard tube full of meat and maggots smells like after it has been in the sun for a month.

While we are loading up the back of the truck we had to borrow to move all this stuff, it starts to rain. So now we are choking back vomit, handling only God knows what and getting soaked as we do it.

We finally get it all loaded up and are headed to the dump when my wife has the best idea. She says "let's go by where they live now and take them their stuff" I say "You're a genius and I love you" We head into the trailor court, find their trailor (a beauty of a kelly green trailor I might add) I get out, knock on the door and to her surprise, there is her former land lord, soaking wet and pretty smelly.

"Hi Francis" I smile at her with that little boy on Christmas morning sound in my voice. "You left a bunch of stuff in our yard and I brought it back to you. We'll just unload it right here in your front yard, okay."

"Uhhh, yeah, sure..." she muttered, still in shock.

We unloaded every last bit of garbage, told her we want our curtains back, she can mail them to us and she still owes us $300 on the last month's rent. If she doesn't pay us, we'll be seeing her in small claims court, where we will pursure every month's rent for the remainder of her lease.

Deann and I hop back in the truck and drive off with an incredibly liberated feeling of euphoria. The best pleasure I have had in months. Something about controlling every aspect of the situation to where you have someone under your thumb and they can't do a thing about it. I still smile when I think about it.

Well check out the poll this week and give me your opinion. Is it right or wrong to get pleasure out of someone else's misfortune? America loves it's funniest home videos. A rake to the crotch, a golf club upside the head, a bride's made falling down on the groom... we can't stop laughing. Is this right or are we dimented?

Last week's poll results are pretty unanimous with 83% saying men aren't perfect, but they aren't dogs either.