I read an interesting article at Workforce Management by E.L. Kersten, author of The Art of Demotivation and creator of my favorite posters. I particularly liked it because of it's sarcastic tone which it is written.
The outline is this:
To have a workforce completely demotivated, you have to follow these guidelines about your company's core values.
- The development of your company’s core values should be outsourced to consultants.
- Core values should not be anchored to any transcendent social values.
- Core values should be stated as ambiguously as possible.
- values should be inconsistent with your strategic market focus.
- One or more values should be anchored to objectives over which the employee has little control.
- At least one of your core values should be employee-oriented.
I've worked for places like this many years ago. Thank God I'm not there any more.