Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Commential Success

Just like I wrote about commential failure - by the way, thank you all for your support. It was very theraputic to get my feelings out and then to see that I'm not alone, but should possibly lighten up - There is a level of commential success that I didn't talk about. This is the pinnacle of success for commenting. It occurs when a comment you leave leads to a post on the blog. It's happened to me once before, and I still contemplate what I can do to repeat my success.

Well, I bestow this top honor of commential success to Brad.

Brad's comment of "Do you have a set time you blog? I realize it can be therapeutic...but for me, like everything else, I have to make a special slot to compile my thoughts. What is your blog ritual?" got me thinking what I do, and how I do it.

Typically I blog first thing in the morning at work. Work starts at 8:30, but I usually get there at 8:20. So I spend 10-25 minutes researching and writing. However, I found that the best thing for me to do is keep one extra posting in the hopper. In other words, I write today what I'm going to post tomorrow. At one time I thought about developing a schedule for what I would blog about. Monday - local news item; Tuesday - national news item; Wednesday - weird news story; Thursday - management/leadership/church issues; Friday - open forum. But, I thought that would be a little formal, so I just wing it. But, I'm beginning to think along those lines again. We'll see what happens.

Today was a total exception to my ritual because my office machine tanked and I've been without for 2 days, so tonight after dinner I had to sit down and write. I don't think I'm as structured as Brad. I know I'm not as structured as my wife Deann. In college she would write her daily tasks hour by hour. 1-2 class; 2-3 study; 3-4 watch oprah. Yeah.. definately not that structured. I more think subconsciously about an idea throughout the day and collect items to mentally file away, then I have something to write about when the time comes.