Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy V-Day

If your interested, here's the history of Valentines Day.

Nutshell version:
  1. The pagan Lupercalia festival of fertility was popular among the Romans of 3rd century.
  2. People did some freaky stuff like slap women with blood soaked strips of goat hide, then hold a lottery to match up men and women for a year. They often married after this.
  3. Pope Gelasius declared February 14th as St. Valentines day around 498 AD in an attempt to weaken the pagan festival.
  4. 1700's people began exchanging small tokens of affection and handwritten love notes.
  5. 1840's Ester Howland sold the first mass produced Valentine Day card in America.
  6. Mid 1900's Halmark made my life hell by making sure I never had a reason to forget getting a card, though I still forget.
  7. Today 1 billion cards are sent. That's second only to Christmas, where 2.6 billion cards are sent.

Happy Valentines day to you all, but especially to my valentine. The woman who puts up with my stupid quarky traits, loves me despite of them and still makes my heart skip a beat. Love you honey. Will you be my valentine?