Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Climbing a Fourteener

This past weekend my brother-in-law and I headed out to take the first step in a long-term goal we set together.
In the state of Colorado, there are 54 mountain peaks that are over 14,000 feet tall. We decided we wanted to climb them all. So, we started by selecting two peaks that we could climb in the same day, packed our backpacks and drove out.

Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak were the first two to experience our hiking boots on them. It was a great experience, though a grueling physical challenge, perhaps the toughest I've ever had. While running a marathon was tough, it didn't last 10 hours. I've got some great stories to tell and lessons learned from 14 thousand feet that I will share later, but for now, here are some pictures of the event.

This is us on top of Mount Shavano. Some guy, who took our picture, handed us this piece of cardboard with the mountain's name and information on it. I'm not sure where he found cardboard at 14,000 feet, but it makes us look like a couple of homeless guys trying to hitch a ride to Denver.

Here we are on top of Tabeguache Peak. By the way, check out my cool hat. I got it or Father's Day this summer in anticipation of climb. Not only is it stylish, but it is extremely practical as the sun is much more intense at 14,000 feet and will actually cause your head to blister if you don't wear a hat. Trust me... or better yet, trust my brother in law (the one without the hat).

I'll post more this week about my experiences puking and hallucinating and how that relates to business. I've got some other lessons I learned, and will pass them along as well as some more great pictures of the beautiful views.

Labels: ,