Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Coffee and Christ

About 4 years ago I started reading Pour Your Heart Into It by Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks. Then I got busy and forgot about it until I was on my way to the swimming pool with my family and needed something to read. I found my book, page still marked where I left off, so I started reading it again. A great book and a good look at the mind of a CEO starting a company. I found the following passage very interesting.

Think of coffee as a music CD. You can listen to it in a special listening room that you designed especialy for the purpose in the basement of your home, where there are no distractions, where you can put the headphones and really listen for the string section or the oboes or try to hear every little click of every fingernail on Eric Clapton's guitar. Or you could put it in the stereo of a car, roll all the windows down , and scream and shout. The music is the same, the application is different.

As long as we remain respectful of our core product, as long as our customers can come into any Starbucks and buy the greatest coffee in the world, as long as we bring the same pursuit of quality to our new products, then we can feel comfortable offering customers different ways of enjoying our coffee. Options like these help introduce a far wider range of people to Starbucks coffee. And that, after all, is our abiding mission.

Now read it again and substitute Christ for coffee and your church's name for Starbucks.
I think it's a lesson some could stand to learn.