Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Finding Passion from Passion

Sometimes you see a story and think, "okay that's nice, whatever" and other times you see something that makes you think "I'm a total slacker with my life and should really do something beyond what I'm currently doing."

This video is the latter. I am beyond impressed with the idea and the results that Muhammad Yunus was able to accomplish with very little resources and a lot of passion. This social entrepreneur is deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize.



I recently heard Steve Bigari, a local entrepreneurial mogul, say "I don't care what you stand for, just take a stand. If you don't know what you want to stand for, call me. I've got a cause you can stand for."

Motivated by the passion of Yunus, this brings me to my second point. (My first was compared to Yunus, I'm a slacker) How does one go about finding a cause that they can devote their entire life, or at least a good portion of their life to? Is there anything that I am passionate about? Something that makes me take a stand? Is there anything that makes you take a stand?

As I was doing some research to find a way to answer these questions for myself, I came across this article, which discusses the 5 steps to finding your passion. Perhaps a little sterile for such a deep topic, but it at least it provides these tips to help get you started.

  1. Identify what gets you excited. "If you're at a party, and there are people talking in different corners of the room about different subjects, and you overhear somebody talking about a subject that fascinates you so much you want to hang around and listen, what would that subject be?"
  2. Go back to your childhood. (this implies I've left mine)
  3. Take stock of your talents. "You don't love what you're not built to love."
  4. "Shop" on the job. "Wherever you work, take as much time as you can to 'shop' around the various departments. Learn the ropes, and find out what you get a kick out of"
  5. Look at the big picture. "Do I like doing it? Am I good at it? Does the world need it?"

Labels: